


One of the songs we sang at camp was "Friends Forever". It seems crazy to think that deep friendships could be built in only three short weeks, but I am convinced that the relationships begun this summer in Zhuhai will continue to grow as we nurture the seeds planted. Meet three of my new friends.
Canaan is one of the education leaders in Zhuhai City. When I told her I would miss her, she responded, "Yes, we have much in common." We both train educators and share a passion for helping children build strong life foundations, but we share a deeper bond as well. My heart and Canaan's were attracted because of a stronger connection which transcends time and distance. I believe our friendship will continue to grow and we will be friends forever.
Alice is Jumbo's daughter. She is a beautiful and articulate young woman who has a wonderful future before her. I'm sure she will become a leader in whatever field she enters. She is the future of China! Alice has begun an email friendship with my daughters, Ashley and Lindsey, who are near her age. It is my hope that this friendship will also grow and that perhaps Alice will visit us in America some day.
Finally, there is Frank. He was one of the first faces I saw each morning as we each awaited our rides to camp at the bus stop near our homes. He always shared a smile and got my day off to a great start. Now, Frank and Ryan (my son) are email pals who have written one another several times. Both are 13 years old and have much in common. He continues to make me smile as he shares his joy of life with my son. I hope they will remain friends, as well.
Our team went to China to lead professional development seminars and an English camp for kids, but I think maybe more was accomplished. Perhaps we have made friends that will last a lifetime. I hope so.